About Juan Dolio
This is the typical place to go to, when you are thinking about spending your holidays at a wonderful beach, with a lot of sun, luxury and coconut-cocktails. After landing at Las Americas International Airport or the new La Romana airport you will recognize immediately that you are on holidays – it is really hot!
Juan Dolio is a holiday-resort, perfectly fitting for families or couples, that want to have an all-inclusive time. Big hotels settled in Juan Dolio in the last years and improved their quality. Build along the coastline, the city has a real nice boulevard with many restaurants and shops. The whole economy of the place is concentrated on the tourism. But when you are interested in something else than sun-bathing – there are many good ideas for day-trips, that are available all the year.
Attractions to see in Juan Dolio
If you are a professional or just a beginner – the places to see under water will catch your breath. Guided tours can bring you to areas with beautiful reefs or sunken ships. If you go on your own you can do that straight from the beach. The waves are breaking off shore, because of the reef and are mostly small at the beach. Almost every bigger hotel has the equipment for the trip and you can buy it or just rent it.
Do you remember these movies, where people are sitting in a stadium and watching a baseball-matches? You can find that here! It’s much to hot on the days for a high-class-game and so the matches take place in the night. Visit the San Pedro Tetelo Vargas Stadium! It would be a much more intensive adventure, when you try to find some locals before. They can show you how you get the most out of it and possibly they know when the heroes of the game will play.
For sure the beach-life is important in the Dominican Republic. The white sands and the crystal clear water, that is reflecting the silhouettes of the palm trees, are amazing. And you can find this everywhere up and down the beach side for hundreds of km. Many people dream of a place like this!
That is why everything concentrated on the tourism and that’s why they have very creative ideas for selling you something.
If you are interested in golf, you probably will stay forever. The 18 hole golfcourt “Metro Countrys Los Marlins” won an award and really is beautiful.
Imagine your partner on the back of a horse, riding through the blue water of the Caribbean all along the beach, jumping over some palm trees. If this is a good picture for you, you really should book soon. This is unique and so beautiful that it could be out of a fairytale.
Districts to visit in Juan Dolio
Villas Del Mar
The district Villas Del Mar is the area where the big hotels are located. In their shadow but really easy to find are plenty souvenir-shops, bars and restaurants.
Guayacanes, Playa Caribe and Boca Chica
When you are travelling into the west of Juan Dolio you will find Guayacanes. This beautiful fishing village is a nice place to spend the hours around the sunset. Going further you will find the beautiful beach of Playa Caribe and the small town Boca Chica.
In just about forty minutes you can reach the capital of the Dominican Republic - Santo Domingo. It is the biggest city of the isle and is home for around 6 mio people, including the suburbs.
10 Juan Dolio travel tips
1. La Romana, that is to the east of Juan Dolio, should stay on the Boulevard that heads straight into the old San Pedro de Macoris highway and not take the expressway (Autovia del Este) that still has stretches under construction. The signage is lacking and confusing.
2. About 15 minutes further east is the baseball city of San Pedro de Macoris, home town of Sammy Sosa. Shopping is good in San Pedro at the Jumbo store.
3. Have fun on the “Go Kart Bahn”, close to the highway to San Pedro.
4. Don’t miss the “Cueva de las Maravillas”!
5. Go into the casino to double your budget, or to loose your flight ticket for the way back.
6. Visit a water-sports-course in one of the gigantic all-inclusive hotels! It’s fun!
7. What about getting lost? Go to the “Tropical Plantation” and try to get out of the natural labyrinth!
8. When you want to get out of the mass tourism, drive to Guayacanes and enjoy a perfect dinner in the Deli Swiss! Fantastic menu! You should take a cab! The wine-collection is one of the biggest in the whole Caribbean.
9. Go for a Jeep Safaris!
10. Visit the Catalina Island and Saona!
Fun and facts about Juan Dolio
Reduce speed when driving along the beach-promenade, or the uncountable speed bumps will break your axle. Be careful, when you are around with a motorcycle!
If you call a taxi, it’s very possible, that someone comes with a motorcycle to pick you up! But it’s a lot of fun using the “Motoconchos”.
When you want to pick a bus you don’t need to go to the station. Just go out on the street and give the driver a sign. He will stop for you!
Find your ideal Hotel in Juan Dolio and enjoy your stay!