Welcome in Lourdes
Welcome in Lourdes - The city of pilgrimage
Lourdes is a French town of about 16,000 inhabitants located in the department of Hautes-Pyrénées in the Midi-Pyrénées region. This town is a Catholic pilgrimage center since February 1858 and welcome every year 6 million pilgrims and visitors from around the world, of which approximately 60,000 sick and disabled. This is the third Catholic pilgrimage site after the Vatican and the Our Lady Basilica of Guadalupe in Mexico City. In France and internationally , Lourdes is the Marian city par excellence.
Information and Facts
In Lourdes, you have a lot restaurants, bars and cafes in the hotel and in the city. Here a list of some pubs:
- International Pub Dancing: it is located in 62, Avenue Peyramale, Prolongée
- Lá Frégate: a night club located in Chemin du Lac
- Tostaky Pub: a pub located 6, Esplanade du Paradis
- Le Triangle bar: This bar has snooker, pool, live bands and DJ's.
One restaurant that a lot of people like: L'ardiden. It is a firiendly restaurant with Portuguese, South American and Spanish cooking.
As Lourdes is a top religious destination, there is a lot of religious shops. But you can find another shops such as Swarosky Cristal, clothes shops, perfume shop, etc. There is a super;arket too and some chemists. If you want more shops, you can go to Tarbes and enjoy your shopping day.
Don't forget that some shops closed between 12:00 am and 2:00 pm.
In Lourdes, you can enjoy several famous place.
One of the first big place, where every Catholics come to visit it, it's the Our Lady Sanctuary. It is open every day, the whole year, 24 hours a day, and the entrance is free. From April to October, 22 places of cult used to celebrate Masses in all languages. People can also attend major celebrations such as the International Mass, Eucharistic procession in the afternoon and Marian torchlight procession every night. From November to March many celebrations take place daily such as Masses, the Rosary, the Angelus ...
Moreover, you cannot not see:
- The Castle Fort of Lourdes and the Pic du Jer
- The Pic du Midi de Bigorre: it has an altitude of 2,877m and a panaromic terraces and a museum space
- The Pont d'Espagne: it is at the heart of the Pyrenees National Park and you can enjoy beautiful wildlife and plants
- The Gavarnie Cirque: it is a natural cirque and it was listed Wolrd Heritage by UNESCO in 1997.
You can use buses, taxis of Lourdes and buses often run from Lourdes to Tarbes.