Welcome to Calcutta
Welcome to Calcutta - the city of Hindu culture
The other name of the city is Kolkata. It is the capital of West Bengal region and is one of the largest city in India. In the city live more than 4,5 millions people. The city is located on the east bank of the Hooghly river, it is the principal commercial, cultural, and educational centre of India. India are post-colonial country. This country was colony of British Empire. You can find many the monuments which remind this period of time. Calcutta is cultural capital of India. Kolkata continues to spawn generations of poets, writers, film producers and Nobel Prize winners.
Information and Facts
The city is abundant in music, art, dance, and drama. Unfortunately in 2010 a curfew was introduced in the city. So the night-life is made difficult. Many hotel organise the party for the guests.
Kolkata has many places to shopping and it can be great fun. In Calcutta you can find markets and malls. Popular purchases include saris, handicrafts, and terracotta items. The best places to do shop are:
- New Market - also known as Hogg's Market, is the oldest and most well known market
- Dakshinapan Shopping Centre - This open air shopping centre is a little out of the way
- Oxford Bookstore - the best place to shop for books in Kolkata, and you can relax and unwind in there as well
In India you can find many interesting monuments such as:
- Fort William - it was built in 18th century inside a jungle
- Victoria Memorial, Queen's Way - the city's most celebrated landmark
- St. Paul's Cathedral - The largest Anglican church in Calcutta.
- Birla Planetarium - one of the oldest Planetaria in India.
- Park Street cemetery - the final resting place for early British traders and settlers.
- Eden Gardens (one of the most famous cricket stadiums in the world),
Standard time zone: UTC/GMT +5 h 30 min.
Kolkata has tropical wet-and-dry climate. The average annual temperature is 26.8°C. The Summer is the warmest and the most humid. The average temperature of summer is between 30°C and 40°C. In winter a temperature is between 9 and 11°C. May is the hottest month.