Welcome to Trondheim
Welcome to - The city of fjords
The city in Sør-Trødelag area in center of Norway. Trondheim is the third largest city in Norway where live above 180 000. The city is administrative centre of Sør-Trøndelag region. It is located on the south shore of the Trondheimsfjord. It is the oldest city in Norway, the settlement was founded in 997 as a trading post, and was the capital of Norway during the Viking Age until 1217.
Information and Facts
Trondheim is very good known as shopping place so you can find the many niche shops located alongside brand stores and numerous shopping malls. The city has a romantic city center which is located near to the river Nidelven and Trondheim Fjord with Nordre gate (street). This street is known as shopping street. In Trondheim are the shops which you can not find elsewhere. Many fashion shops create the new clothes on the customers order. In the city except for small shops you can find large supermarkets where you can buy everything what you want. Moreover, Trondheim's location next to the sea is ideal for the fish market Ravnkloa where you can buy the fresh sea fruits
Trondheim has many interesing things to vitit. The most foumost place are:
- Nidaros Cathedral - the national sanctuary of Norway, built in 1070,
- The Archbishop's Palace - one of the best preserved building complexes of this kind in Europe. It is the oldest secular building in Scandinavia.
- Ringve Museum - national museum of music and musical instruments
- Rockheim - is the Norwegian museum for pop and rock.
- Stiftsgården (the Royal Residence) - built during 1774 and 1778 by the ambitious widow of the privy counsellor, is the largest wooden palace in Scandinavia.
- Sverresborg (Trøndelag Folk Museum) - a museum of cultural history around the ruins of King Sverre's medieval castle.
Standard time zone: UTC/GMT +1 hour
Trondheim is located in the north part of Europe so in the city is cold and wet. The largest differences we find in Northern Norway, having midnight sun in the summer months and no sunshine at all during winter. In winter temperature is around -15 °C, in summer is around 20 °C
In Trondheim are trams, buses and ships . The bus network is managed by AtB. The buses run throughout city and suburbs. Moreover, the Night Buses service which are the cheapest and the most effective transport for those enjoying nightlife in the city centre.